• Hi and welcome to GoneGambling

Spooky Stories

John

Fried Onion
Here's my spooky story and it is true. I promise. What you guys need to understand is that I don't believe in God and I believe that we have one life to live and this is it - so make the most of it. Not believing in God means I also don't believe in ghosts and spirits etc.

For quite a few years I used to meet mom and dad each Thursday at a slots venue. We would play the slots for a few hours and then go home. Mom loved playing and was only a 1 cent a line bet person. I was all or nothing. lol Mom and dad didn't believe in God or ghosts either so I used to joke with mom that if there was an after-life of some kind, she had better make sure she caused me to win a slots jackpot now and then. It was a running joke we had between us.

So, mom passed away about 10 years ago. About two weeks after her funeral I picked dad up to take him to play the slots. We went to moms favourite venue. There was only a few people there coz it was before lunch. I sat to play one of my favourite machines. There was 12 machines against a wall and I was the only person playing in that bank of machines. All of a sudden, for NO REASON at all, the machine on my left side started to sing and make noise. The reels did NOT spin but the win meter on the machine started to run up. I sat there staring at it in disbelief and once it passed $500 I looked up to the ceiling and said out loud, that is typical of you mom, you hit the wrong bloody machine!

So I go to the girl who works there who I knew very well and explained what had happened. She of course said that I must have played it, I assured her I hadn't, and besides, the reels were not showing a winning combination. By this time the machine was up to $2,000 and still singing and running up the win metre. So, she phoned head office in Melbourne coz all machines were linked back to head office. They guy at head office checked the machine number and said that it wasn't doing anything and had not been played for an hour or more. He said that the win metre could not be running up because that was impossible, and besides, nothing was showing as happening on his end. The girl told him that the machine was now over $4,000 and still running up the win metre. He didn't believe her coz that is impossible. So she said, what do I do? He said, I don't believe it is happening but the only thing you can do is unhook it from the power source. So the girl unhooked it. It stopped at around $5,500 when she pulled the plug on the machine.

Now, it did cause me to think. Hitting the wrong machine was typical of mom. lol In thinking about it, if I had won a legitimate jackpot on the machine I was playing, I would have just said thanks mom, and had a chuckle to myself and not been any the wiser. But having the machine next to me go off when it wasn't even being played, meant that things were happening that I wasn't even aware of. I will confess that I took comfort from what had happened. It caused me to believe that mom was OK.

And no, I was not payed the money coz it was an obvious malfunction.

Now, the story could have ended there EXCEPT for the fact that a couple of months later, just for a laugh, the Ball and Chain visited a clairvoyant. At the end of her reading the Ball and Chain was asked if there was anything else she wanted to know. She said yes. She asked if my mother had caused anything to happen to me since her passing. The clairvoyant said yes. She said that I was sitting alone with lots of lights flashing and I was playing a game. She wasn't sure what they game was - it may have been a card game - poker is what she thought. Now, for you guys in the US who don't know, slot machines in Australia are called Poker Machines or Pokies. The clairvoyant said that my mother was very agitated and kept saying that was me, I did that for John.

OK. So what about God and ghosts now? Well, I still don't believe but I was pretty freaked out by the entire event. lol