• Hi and welcome to GoneGambling

Windows 10; Question Time

mistyshade

Pickled Onion
Hello all,
My new computer keeps crashing and going into the blue screen of death.
I am still using Win 7 Pro, a new copy, and continually solving problems and I am getting pretty pissed off with it.
So, I'm thinking of upgrading to W10.
If you are using it (W10), are you having any problems?
Are there any plus points?
Please reply with your thoughts on this one. I will read them all and comment.

Phil.

DEEDEEMOE

Super Moderator
I've been putting off upgrading to windows 10 (currently using windows 8.1) on my laptop. It seems there are still a lot of quirks that haven't gotten worked out yet, and patches for non mainstream programs dont seem to be coming online very quickly either. And most the problems I've heard about are with laptops. But I do hear about pcs having partial program and data loss. The blue screen of death has happened to a few gg members when installing windows 10 too. One of my brother-in-laws is still trying to figure out how to get into a couple of programs that were partially lost when upgrading.

I imagine it would not be a big deal if you had a new computer with no vital files/programs to worry about losing or damaging, and you being very computer savvy would probably be able to figure out any work-arounds that may be needed to fix anything that windows 10 may throw at you when installing... but I'm not willing to take the gamble at this time, especially when 8.1 is running fine for me.

I would love to hear from windows 10 users on how things are working out for them. Did the install go ok? Any missing programs or data etc? And how do you like using windows 10 compared to your old windows version?

kotsy1

Fried Onion
one day my computer auto updated to win 10. it's not bad. hard to find all the settings and it's an app based program. it downloads explorer edge for your browser, which is horrible. difficult to get ie 10 or 11 back as your preferred browser, but it is possible. I didn't loose any files or programs, but many aren't compatible. some will open with ie 10 and others with edge. you only have 45 to 60 days to revert back to the old windows. I went over the time frame and can not go back unless I have a disk or download a non supported version which I do not recommend.

babyspet2

Pickled Onion
My laptop downloaded windows 10 and I had it before this one. I prefer windows 8.1 but you get use to it. I understand July 29th was the last day for the free version. It all in the eyes of the beholder.

Vickie

mistyshade

Pickled Onion
Windows 10

Windows 10

I've been putting off upgrading to windows 10 (currently using windows 8.1) on my laptop. It seems there are still a lot of quirks that haven't gotten worked out yet, and patches for non mainstream programs dont seem to be coming online very quickly either. And most the problems I've heard about are with laptops. But I do hear about pcs having partial program and data loss. The blue screen of death has happened to a few gg members when installing windows 10 too. One of my brother-in-laws is still trying to figure out how to get into a couple of programs that were partially lost when upgrading.

I imagine it would not be a big deal if you had a new computer with no vital files/programs to worry about losing or damaging, and you being very computer savvy would probably be able to figure out any work-arounds that may be needed to fix anything that windows 10 may throw at you when installing... but I'm not willing to take the gamble at this time, especially when 8.1 is running fine for me.

I would love to hear from windows 10 users on how things are working out for them. Did the install go ok? Any missing programs or data etc? And how do you like using windows 10 compared to your old windows version?

Thanks Dee,
I saved the upgrade to a stick. Which gives me the option of a straight install or a format install.
As it's a new puter with none of my stuff in it yet, I was thinking that a format install would be the best option, then go to the manufacturers site (Lenovo) for all the Win 10 drivers etc.
I have a feeling that for all that, I will stay with Win 7 and sort it out.

Phil.

mistyshade

Pickled Onion
Win 10

Win 10

one day my computer auto updated to win 10. it's not bad. hard to find all the settings and it's an app based program. it downloads explorer edge for your browser, which is horrible. difficult to get ie 10 or 11 back as your preferred browser, but it is possible. I didn't loose any files or programs, but many aren't compatible. some will open with ie 10 and others with edge. you only have 45 to 60 days to revert back to the old windows. I went over the time frame and can not go back unless I have a disk or download a non supported version which I do not recommend.

Thanks kotsy,
Interesting about compatability problems. I have some old progs that, eventually, I got to work with Win 7. Supposedly, they will work with Win 10. Don't think I will hold my breath on that one!

Phil.