• Hi and welcome to GoneGambling

WE WOM - WE WON

dokken

Pickled Onion
I would like to take this time to thank all of my Gone Gambling friends who have been there for me for the past 14 years and counting.

This month we will be celebrating our independence, freedom, and equal rights for all, including ethnicity, men, women, Hispanics, blacks, and the LBGT community, but last night I went to sleep as a person who was not equal to my peers. Today I woke up with the full equal rights as my peers, and I wish to thank the SCOTUS for making that happen.

• 239 years ago: We fought for independence and freedom, and WE WON.
• 150 years ago: we fought against slavery, and WE WON.
• 95 years ago: We fought for equal rights for women, and WE WON.
• 70 years ago: We fought against religious persecution and genocide, and WE WON.
• 50 years ago: We fought for civil rights for blacks, and WE WON.
• 10 years ago: We began the fight for marriage equality, and guess what.

WE WON -- WE WON -- WE WON

Supreme Court’s Justice Kennedy’s closing paragraph on the rights of same sex couples to marry was heartwarming. I thought that I would end up dying alone and never be given the chance to marry and spend the rest of my life with a man that I love.

“No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even after death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right.

The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit is reversed.

It is so ordered.”

GreedyGirl

Pickled Onion
Absolutely thrilled with this news!

I rarely speak up about my personal beliefs (there's a reason it's called 'personal'), I've never understood how any faith can condemn love and be so elitist. The notion that marriage is solely covered under God is just goofy to me. If that's the case, does this mean a straight man and woman who happen to be Atheist are only together under civil union? Of course not.

Religion is a preference. Personal beliefs are just that. Ignorance and fear create hate. Tolerance and understanding create acceptance and love. Pretty simple, IMO.

ggirl

Pickled Onion
Absolutely thrilled with this news!

I rarely speak up about my personal beliefs (there's a reason it's called 'personal'), I've never understood how any faith can condemn love and be so elitist. The notion that marriage is solely covered under God is just goofy to me. If that's the case, does this mean a straight man and woman who happen to be Atheist are only together under civil union? Of course not.

Religion is a preference. Personal beliefs are just that. Ignorance and fear create hate. Tolerance and understanding create acceptance and love. Pretty simple, IMO.

I couldn't agree more. You are one hell of a writer. I could have never said it or conveyed it this well. . Happy for you dokken but in my mind just like our ban on gambling in the U.S in regards to the transfer of money it should have never been an issue.