• Hi and welcome to GoneGambling

Tough Times...Explanations...Apologies

GreedyGirl

Pickled Onion
Hey peeps--

By now you've probably been thinking 'is Greedygirl even alive anymore'? I wouldn't blame you and I feel terribly about my sudden, extended absence. Yes, we all know I can be flaky, but the past few weeks have exceeded my general flakiness.

Just to fill you in, it all started with some serious mouth pain. The sort of pain that won't allow you to sleep and distracts you from focusing on anything. Saw the dentist and I have a bit of diseased bone going on. I'm gonna need some bone grafts done, but finding time between now and the wedding is gonna be tough (you'll understand more as you read on).

There's some stuff that Bryan came to me with relating to work, the industry and it's possible effects on GoneGambling. This is nothing I can discuss yet (I will at a later time) and don't worry--things are fine with GoneGambling. It just took my head out of things for several days (along with Deedeemoe's, but she held it together quite well, as she always does!).

While dealing with this, Joe began getting quite fatigued. I've not discussed this previously, but Joe has been dealing with Multiple Sclerosis for the past ten years. It's managed well by an infusion treatment called Tysabri and it's been amazing stuff for him. His symptoms and progression of the MS have been halted almost completely by this treatment and if you were to meet Joe, you'd likely not know he had this nasty disease.

Back to the fatigue stuff...

Each day, Joe was becoming more and more fatigued, sleeping as much as 16 - 18 hours a day, with no appetite. This slowly inched into a very serious, unending headache. He stopped drinking liquids and for me, panic set in. Week before last, enough was enough--I took him into the hospital and he underwent a ton of tests along with bag after bag of fluid being pumped into his system. The doctors were somewhat baffled, as this did not seem to be any sort of an encephalitis nor did it seem related to the MS and it definitely wasn't some sort of depression.

The morning I was to pick Joe up from the hospital, I was in our master bathroom. I looked down and saw a mushroom growing between the wall and the baseboard. WTF?!?!? Immediately, I rang the owner of my home and after she freaked out for a moment, she contacted her insurance company and got the ball rolling to get the house properly checked for mold.

After speaking with her, I went and retrieved Joe from the hospital. In speaking with doctors, it became fairly clear that if indeed we have a serious mold situation, this is likely what triggered Joe's sudden downhill turn.

This past week, we have been dealing with mold experts, contractors, insurance investigators and other folks. Essentially, we have a nightmare on our hands: The house is essentially a giant petrie dish filled with every type of mold imaginable and is completely untenable. We need to be out of this house as soon as possible, plain and simple. Mold for anyone is not good, but for someone with an auto-immune disease (which MS is), it can be incredibly serious.

All of this is coming at the worst time possible...the pain in my mouth, preparing for a wedding that's taking place in barely two months, and this work stuff. Making matters worse, there's little rental inventory in El Paso at the moment with homes that would be suitable for Joe, myself and three dogs. We're tough, though and we're gonna get through this.

Basically, the past few weeks have been difficult and I expect the next few weeks to not be much better. I'm really treading water here and I hope all of you can accept my heartfelt apology for my lack of attentiveness around the site. I'm going to do my best to be more involved, but I don't want to make any promises I can't live up to right now.

I hope you all understand and I appreciate how patient everyone's been.

puddycat

Pickled Onion
Bless your hearts!!! I'm sorry y'all are having to deal with so much at once. One foot in front of the other...breath in and out. :)
I'm glad you have each other!
puddycat

thomasina

Pickled Onion
Everything at once!

Everything at once!

Bless your hearts!!! I'm sorry y'all are having to deal with so much at once. One foot in front of the other...breath in and out. :)
I'm glad you have each other!
puddycat

Feel bad for you, they say things come in threes. Dentistry being the worst! Sure did with you.

jimebear

Pussy Willow
Is that all???

Is that all???

Whew...I thought you were going to say that the wedding was off!!

(Just kidding)

I hope/know things improve and always remember there is a silver lining in everything bad that happens.

You WILL find a house and one that's even better than the one you have.
You WILL file a law suit and make lots of money from this which both you Joe deserve.
You WILL schedule bone grafts and get fixed up so you will still be able to enjoy your wedding and honeymoon.
You WILL leave all the details now for the wedding to your wedding PLANNER so you can concentrate on getting both of you better. (That's what you pay the PLANNER to do)!
You WILL live happily ever after!!!

Love,
Jimebear:)

Last edited:

sparked1

No apology needed!

No apology needed!

Wow, life just loves to throw us some curveballs every now and then to keep us on our toes, but you seem to have gotten them all at once. My thoughts and prayers are with you both while you wade through the pile of crap that has been dumped on you. Yuck, that sounds really gross :puke:! I know that in time everything will fall into place and you can start to enjoy a normal life again. I hope that your bone graphs go well and you will be free from all the pain. Dental pain is the worst! Stay positive and strong, you've got this!! :thumbsup:

krystalkitty

JUST SEEN THIS POST

JUST SEEN THIS POST

Bad luck comes in three's or more:( So sorry to see you guys go thru all of this! We all do find a way to survive everything. I had a horrendous tooth and got it pulled. Nothing worse than the all consuming pain! Take Care!

dokken

Pickled Onion
It is hard to face each day on a positive note when so much heartache and challenges are knocking at your door, but let me tell you the story about a mule and the farmer.

There was a farmer that owned an old mule. One day the mule fell into the farmer's well. The farmer heard the mule praying or whatever mules do when they fall into wells.

After carefully assessing the situation, the farmer sympathized with the mule, but decided that neither the mule nor the well was worth the trouble of saving. Instead, he called his neighbors together, told them what had happened, and enlisted them to help haul dirt to bury the old mule in the well and put him out of his misery.

Initially the old mule was hysterical! But as the farmer and his neighbors continued shoveling and the dirt hit his back, a thought struck him. It suddenly dawned on him that every time a shovel load of dirt landed on his back, HE WOULD SHAKE IT OFF AND STEP UP!

This he did, blow after blow. "Shake it off and step up... shake it off and step up!" He repeated to encourage himself. No matter how painful the blows, or how distressing the situation seemed, the old mule fought panic and just kept right on SHAKING IT OFF AND STEPPING UP!

It wasn't long before the old mule, battered and exhausted, stepped triumphantly over the wall of that well! What seemed like it would bury him actually helped him ... all because of the manner in which he handled his adversity.

THAT'S LIFE! If we face our problems and respond to them positively, and refuse to give in to panic, bitterness, or self-pity

GreedyGirl

Pickled Onion
Thanks, everyone--for understanding as well as your support. It means more than you can imagine. :thumbsup:

I do have one question, though...did Dokken just somehow equate me with an ass? :p:confused::p

dokken

Pickled Onion
That didn't even cross my mind, but now that you brought it up,, lol

Actually the mule represents the ability to persevere and suceed in life while carrying a load of problems on your shoulders.

doc3738

Pickled Onion
seems he did

seems he did

Seems he did but only a little ass and not a big ass as some would think you are big ass and others think you are just an ass period
We have a guy that does some remodeling for us and it is his business
He suddenly became ill and weak
They found the same problem was mold in the house they lived in
It is strange how this has mutated I can remember mold of all kinds being in houses in the old days. We just wiped bleach and water over it and that was done. No one ever got sick
Wish him a speedy recovery and future good health
Guess you know they are going to graft bone from your ass to put in your mouth ;)

GreedyGirl

Pickled Onion
Time for an update...

Time for an update...

Just wanted to let everyone know the latest...

Tuesday (tomorrow) is the big moving day (thankfully!). Unfortunately, the house we're moving into will only be a temporary home, as we were not able to find a home that would be suitable for our needs (crazy enough, there were very few homes available--and even fewer that were larger than a cracker-box). At least we'll be out of the mold-motel!

I'll be without internet beginning tomorrow until Friday, so anything you need, please contact Deedeemoe.

Next on the list is that pesky wedding: We're less than a month away and with all the craziness of this move (and other distractions), I'm panicked! There's SO much to get done and with everything we've been up against, the time lost feels like I'm being strangled. If I make it through all this without finding myself in a loony-bin, it will be a miracle!

Lastly...I mentioned previously there's gonna be some sort of something happening here at GG. Still can't tell you just yet, but expect to hear about it in the next week or so! :thumbsup:

doc3738

Pickled Onion
Good wishes

Good wishes

May your tomorrows be better ,your future brighter and your troubles soon be gone
Keep looking up and be thankful for what you have and will have

sparked1

Good luck with the move, the wedding and all the rest of the crazy things that life throws your way! Hopefully a better home will become available in time. I know the pressure you are under but one day you will be able to look back and reflect on the events that are driving you crazy now and suddenly they won't seem so bad. You have a lot to look forward to and be thankful for. Keep looking for the silver lining, there always seems to be one!

I can totally relate to how crazy and scary life can get. Our grandson was recently delivered by emergency C section 10 weeks early. Our daughter-in-law developed a severe case of HELP Syndrome and both her life and the baby's life were in jeopardy. I am so thankful to God and the fabulous medical staff of the University of Florida Health at Shands Hospital for saving both of their lives. Maddox Ray Decker was born in July weighing 2lbs. 3oz. and is a real fighter, he is growing stronger and bigger everyday. Mom is now doing very well and is home, hopefully Maddox will be able to come home very soon. I knew there was a reason I've been a University of Florida Gator fan all my life! GO GATORS! :)

babyspet2

Pickled Onion
Thanks, everyone--for understanding as well as your support. It means more than you can imagine. :thumbsup:

I do have one question, though...did Dokken just somehow equate me with an ass? :p:confused::p

You know how he is lol, and I am really sorry about joe but I am sure you can handle him, but the other problems I dont't know. But, we love ya and gaia sent out a flyer saying we all were getting the gl.s but I haven't seen them? Oh, and someone just hit my jackpot om stormy weather. I hate it when they do that. They have thousands of my points

Sending prayers to joe and strength to you. Love ya!!!!!! Vickie

GreedyGirl

Pickled Onion
Hell-week is over! And let me tell you, it WAS hell! I'll tell you all about it, another time.

For now, I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm gonna be getting back into the swing of things, beginning first thing this morning (after a few hours of shut-eye).

Later today, you can look forward to a GetLucky mailing and as previously mentioned, later this week there will be some interesting news.

Also, massive congrats to both Sparked1 and Mobycr on the birth of that oh-so tiny (but tough!) grandson, Maddox! What a huge sigh of relief for your family that both your daughter and grandson are doing well. Big hugs going out to you! :wine:

Time for my abbreviated beauty sleep...back to work in a few hours! :thumbsup:

veebot

I do have one question, though...did Dokken just somehow equate me with an ass? :p:confused::p[/QUOT

Glad to see that your sense of humor is still intact with all you have on your plate, Deb. Sorry to hear about all of the problems that you are facing. You just never know what horrors your home might be hiding. Almost makes a person want to live outdoors...almost, lol!

I hope things turn around for you soon.

Vee